Have you ever felt an invisible wall around you that held you back from reaching out to another and showering them with love? “But I’m shy”, “That just isnt’ me”, “That’s not my personality”, “I’m just not a demonstrative person”….or have you said something similar, to others or even to yourself, in defense for not being as outward with your affection?
Maybe you cringe inside at the thought of expressing yourself that way? Can it be fear? And if so, do you know what you are afraid of?
God’s word says that we are made in the image of God (Genesis 1:12) and it also says “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love”…so what does that say when we do not love?
“But i love people in my own way”…naw, you don’t get that excuse. Years ago there was a saying circling around that said “love is not love until it’s given away”, but you also rely on the Lord’s words when He says to Love thine neighbor as yourself. (Lev. 19:18, Matt. 19:19, 22:39, Mark 12:31, 12:31, Rom 13:9, Gal. 5:14, James 2:8)
SO can assume that if we are made in God’s image, and if He IS LOVE, then we were made to love; openly, freely, without hinderance or reservation? And if we can’t, have we really touched the Heart of God, knowing Him intimately or have we experienced His heart for us, and those around us?
If expressions of Love is hard to show, then something is “blocking the dam of outpouring”, and we need to focus on what could be in the way.
Another example of having a “heart block” is the ability to feel comfortable RECEIVING love. If you have this issue, you know how uncomfortable it feels when people reach out to hug you, pay you a huge compliment, or hand you a gift when it’s not Christmas.
1) ask the Lord what is in the way to showing love to and receiving love from others. This requires you to spend more time with Him; listening, praising, being silent, and reading His word. Wait upon Him and listen for that still small voice. If you have not entered into the deeper chambers of His presence, I highly recommend reading the 4 steps into His presence and practice all that you read her, “staying there until you receive the blessing“.
2) take what the Lord shows you and pray it into His will and purpose for you.
- If it’s healing you need from past hurts, walk through the experience with Him, grieve it out and ask for the Lord Jesus to come bring complete healing. You can go through our list of PAIN WORDS that will help you identify what you’re feeling and walk through the steps at the bottom of the page to yield that pain back to the Lord and take back ground you gave the enemy through any hidden pride (feeling sorry for yourself).
- if you struggle with FEAR, walk through our Fear Buster page to get the freedom that you need in this area.
- if you have any bitterness or anger against another, in the present or in the past, walk through the steps on the 2 Minute Cleanse, with an open heart towards the Lord and renounce these feelings against another of His Children.
- the First Aid Center has tons of aids to help you go through this process, from prayer starters & praise starters, to healing scriptures (promises) that you can call out and stand on, claiming them for your life.
It says in Psalms 24:1 that everything under the sun belongs to God. He cares great for you and will give you all the resources at His disposed to walk a straight path abiding in Him. Pain comes from many different areas of sin, from lack of faith, to bitterness, envy and strive, and the very fact that pain causes PAIN, makes us feel sorry for ourselves to the extent that we hold onto it and hesitate to relinquish it to the Lord’s control. This will hinder your live in so many areas and prevent you from receiving all the blessings that He has planned for you.
To the paralytic that was lowered down through the roof in Mark 2:3-5, Jesus’s first words were not “you are healed” but “your sins are forgiven”. And when the pharisees balked at this, He says in verse 9; “Which is easier: to say to this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’?”
Jesus correlates being forgiven with healing!
What do you need forgiveness for? Who do you need to release and forgive? What do you need to repent of? W hat do you need healing for? TAKE IT …and love. Love freely, Love in Christ Jesus, reach out beyond what you’ve been able to do before and love on someone in such a way that will surprise them. Free yourself from the chains that are wrapped around your heart. THIS is where FREEDOM is found. May He pour out to you in wild abundance!